Should I See a Dermatologist or Allergist for Eczema?

Eczema is an inflammatory skin condition that causes a red, itchy, dry, and irritated rash on the skin. There are actually several different types of eczema, with atopic dermatitis being the most common. The chronic skin condition affects approximately 10-20% of the worldwide population. In order to manage symptoms and prevent flare ups, it’s important to understand your body and what may be triggering reactions. A medical professional can help with this. But should you see a dermatologist or allergist for eczema? Read on to find out!

What is a Dermatologist?

A dermatologist is someone who specializes in diagnosing and conditions of the skin, hair, and nails. This includes skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis. Some dermatologists also specialize in cosmetic procedures, helping to improve the appearance of the skin or reduce signs of aging. Your primary doctor will usually refer you to a dermatologist. 

What is an Allergist?

An allergist is someone who diagnoses or treats health conditions that develop suddenly or occasionally. They may also be called immunologists as they specialize in the immune system. Their sphere of expertise includes allergies, asthma, immunodeficiencies and immunologic disorders. This means they’re trained to identify triggers for allergic reactions.

An allergist will conduct allergy testing to determine the cause of a red rash or respiratory reactions. This helps identify the allergen and determine the appropriate treatment. 

When to See an Eczema Dermatologist or Allergist

So, when should you see an allergist and when is it better to visit your dermatologist? W

e recommend consulting an allergist if a rash or reaction suddenly appears on your body. This rash can be red, itchy, and inflamed, appearing similar to eczema or hives. If you are experiencing frequent asthma attacks or are noticing food sensitivities, it’s also a good idea to speak to an allergist.

An unusual physical reaction after contact with certain things, like nickel or fabrics like latex, would also warrant a conversation with an allergist. 

On the other hand, the expertise of a dermatologist would be beneficial when dealing with skin conditions like acne, psoriasis, rosacea, and eczema. They can also inspect moles or growths on the skin to make sure they are not dangerous. If you notice a skin or nail infection, it’s best to speak to a dermatologist. Lastly, a dermatologist can help with dermal issues like age spots and wrinkles. 

How a Dermatologist can Help with Eczema

Eczema is a skin condition in which symptoms can be managed and prevented with help from a dermatologist.

To start with, they can help conduct patch tests to help identify the trigger of your eczema rash.  However, if you are dealing with allergic dermatitis, your dermatologist may refer you to an allergist. To help you manage symptoms of eczema, a dermatologist may recommend lifestyle changes, coping techniques, and natural skincare remedies.

For example, this Organic Manuka Skin Soothing Cream is dermatologist tested and approved. Made with just 6 natural ingredients, it’s also EWG Skin Deep 1 Rated. We love it for its soft, buttery texture and ultra-hydrating properties. It’s a great choice for dealing with eczema, psoriasis, rosacea, sunburn, cuts and scrapes, and sensitive or dry skin. 

How can an Allergist Help Eczema?

An allergist can help prevent and manage eczema symptoms by helping to determine your eczema triggers. This is particularly useful if a certain ingredient or food is causing a flare up. An allergist can perform tests to help discover the specific allergen that may be contributing to symptoms. You will then be aware of which triggers to avoid going forward so that the chance of a reaction is reduced as much as possible.


FROM: Eczema

1 Comment

  1. Anne Brown on August 2, 2022 at 5:10 pm

    Thank you so much
    No one referred us to an immunologist .
    Our GP just referred us to dermatology who treating the symptoms and not looking for a cause .
    How do we get referrals to immunologist ???

Leave a Comment

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This