Skip to content

Top 10 Misconceptions About Food Allergies

Hi, my name is Missie, and my daughter is allergic to peanuts.  People are very emotional about food allergies, especially in regards to children with food allergies.  We, the parents of kids with food allergies, want to feel that our kids are safe when we send them off to school.  On the other side, parents whose children do not have food allergies often feel that accommodations for our children will somehow compromise their child’s education.  This is because there is an overwhelming amount of myths surrounding food allergies.

The truth is that so many kids have food allergies now, that almost every school is bound to have this issue come up.  Children with food allergies already have so many limitations on their lives, it would be so great if we could increase awareness and perhaps some schools, restaurants, airlines, hotels, etc… would start putting in policies that would help include us.  Most of all, I would really like to tell the word about the below, which I believe to be the top 10 myths about food allergies.

Myth:  The allergic food needs to be eaten to have a reaction.

Truth: Children (and adults) have had reactions just from touching the allergen (and then touching their eyes, nose, or mouth, just as we all get sick from germs) or from breathing in particles in the air (for example, chopping and roasting nuts puts particles in the air).

Myth:  Food is safe if it doesn’t contain peanuts as an ingredient.

Truth:  Cross-contamination is one of the main cause of reactions.  For example, if a line in a factory makes a peanut-containing food on it and then produces a non-peanut food on the same line, that can cause the non-peanut containing food to have trace particles inside it.

Myth:  Visible amounts of peanuts need to be eaten to cause a reaction.

Truth:  Tiny protein particles, invisible to the naked eye, can cause life-threatening reactions.

Myth:  Food allergies can be mild.

Truth:  Yes, reactions can be mild, but even if someone has experienced mild reactions (such as a rash) in the past, they can still have an anaphylactic response to the next exposure.  Allergies are unpredictable.  Here are some possible reactions to exposure to peanuts:  rash, vomiting, diarrhea, drop in blood pressure, swelling, losing the ability to breath (which will cause death if not treated immediately).

Myth:  Food allergies and food intolerance are the same.

Truth:  Food intolerance is due to a lack of a digestive enzyme.  Food allergy is a reaction from the immune system and is much more dangerous.

Myth:  As long as you don’t introduce a food to a child at too young of an age, and no one in your family has food allergies, your child will not develop one.

Truth:  Nobody knows what causes food allergies.  Also, even if no one in your family has ever had a food allergy, your child could develop one (as in our case).  No one is safe from food allergies.  They can even develop as an adult to a food you’ve eaten your whole life.

Myth:  Food allergies are rare.

Truth:  At least 8% of American children have a food allergy (Gupta, 2011).  That may seem like a small amount, but it makes it statistically likely that all schools will have at least one allergic child.

Myth:  There is a cure for food allergies.

Truth:  We are still waiting for that precious day.

Myth:  Food allergies are outgrown.

Truth:  Some are.  Some aren’t.  Only about 20% of kids with peanut allergy will outgrow it.

Myth:  EpiPens always cure the reaction.

Truth:  The purpose of the EpiPen is to buy time until the ambulance comes.  One injection may not be enough to save a person’s life.

6 Comments Post a comment
  1. Oh, I should have included an 11th misconceoption: Peanut protein is easy to clean up.

    The truth is that dishsoap has been shown to be ineffective at removing peanut protein. So tables at school should be cleaned with something like 409 or Lysol wipes. Also, brushing the teeth and/or rinsing the mouth does not remove peanut protein. So kissing, sharing utensils, or other saliva contact is very dangerous of the allergic individual as well. Proper hand washing with hand soap is effective.

    Like

    November 23, 2011
    • Very interesting. Thanks for adding to your post!!! Jennifer

      Like

      November 25, 2011
  2. More education, to get food allergy awareness in the mainstream, is key. From my experience, adults seem harder to reach…children seem more accepting. The children of today will be the adults of the future…there is hope! susan H @ the food allergy chronicles

    Like

    November 22, 2011
    • Yes, but food allergies have been around forever. Things are changing though – more products are available, more children and adults diagnosed, etc. So, maybe there is hope. I think, sadly, it’s up to the parents with children with food allergies to educate the teachers, classmates and their parents, if there is a possibility of anaphylactic shock. As a parent, I would want to know if there was a child that could possibly die because of something I placed in my child’s lunch box. Parents may react outwardly as if it’s a big inconvenience, but honestly, who would want to place any child at such a risk?

      Like

      November 24, 2011
  3. Kristy #

    “On the other side, parents whose children do not have food allergies often feel that accommodations for our children will somehow compromise their child’s education.”

    Oh, please. They don’t want to be inconvenienced. That’s the real reason for most of the complaints and the complete disregard of requests to keep a classroom or school peanut free.

    I don’t have any children with allergies, but we have kids at our church who are peanut allergic, It IS a pain in the butt when I am cooking for a potluck, but it’s worth it to keep the kids from dying.

    Like

    November 22, 2011
    • Part of it, although know one would want to admit it, probably is in regard to inconvenience. BUT, I think most parents don’t realize how bad some food allergies can be. There is no parent that would risk taking a peanut product in for their child if they knew they were honestly risking death on another child. They just don’t get it. My child is not anaphylactic, but I understand the seriousness because. Like Susan H states, it’s really a matter of lack of education on the matter. If they don’t deal with food allergies on a daily basis, they just won’t understand.

      Like

      November 24, 2011

Tell us what you think...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: