Last Updated on
Lip eczema, also known as lip dermatitis, is a skin condition characterized by severe dryness, redness, and scaling of the lips. While badly chapped lips are caused by dryness, there are a number of different factors that trigger lip eczema. In this post, we’ll explore some of these factors and discover the best lip eczema treatments.
Lip Eczema Symptoms
Lip eczema may appear similar to chapped lips but there are a number of differentiating symptoms to look out for:
- Itching or burning sensation
- Red rash on or around the lip
- Swollen-looking skin
- Change of pigmentation
What Causes Lip Eczema?
People usually develop eczema around lips or on for different reasons. For some, it’s a result of environmental factors such as chemicals found in lip products. For others, it’s due to genetics. It may even develop as a result of habitual licking of the lips. While the exact trigger may be unique for each person, here are some common triggers to watch out for:
- A sensitivity to extreme weather conditions
- A family history of eczema or allergies
- Cigarette smoke
- Specific foods
- Irritants in soaps or house-hold products
- Change in hormone levels
Best Treatments for Lip Eczema
We firmly believe that natural products are the most effective methods for fighting eczema. By eliminating your contact with harsh toxins, you reduce the likelihood that your skin will flare-up because of a bad reaction. In addition, chemicals tend to dry out your skin which is the last thing you want if you’re suffering from eczema.
Here are some of our favourite natural products for treating eczema:
1. Organic Manuka Skin-Soothing Cream – Containing only six ingredients, this creamy balm is soothing for all types for eczema. Itchy eyelids? Itchy elbows? Itchy knees? No problem – this skin-soothing cream can be applied anywhere on the body. Because of the olive oil and beeswax, it’s gentle and nourishing and will not cause stinging or burning. Plus, manuka honey is known to have antibacterial properties. Finally, there are absolutely no added preservatives or fillers – talk about au natural!
2. Organic Calendula Lip Balm – Natural and nourishing are the words we use to describe this soothing lip balm. With only three ingredients, it’s hard to describe it any other way. Calendula, beeswax and vitamin E are all that’s needed to supply your lips with the moisture they crave. Calendula is anti-inflammatory and antibacterial as well.
If you’re looking for quick relief for irritated lips, you can also try these home remedies for lip eczema:
3. Coconut Oil – It’s no secret that coconut oil provides soothing relief for inflamed or irritated skin as it is found in a variety of natural treatments. Like calendula, it is also anti-inflammatory and antibacterial. For optimal results, use a virgin, cold pressed coconut oil.
4. Sugar – Salt can be irritating for eczema, so if you are planning to use a scrub as a lip eczema treatment, we vouch for sugar instead of salt. It’s the perfect scrub solution for dry lips. You can even use brown sugar or cane sugar if you prefer a larger grain.
5. Aloe Vera – Aloe Vera is well-known for its cooling effect on red, itchy skin. If using aloe vera, try to stay away from gels as they typically contain alcohol and other drying ingredients that aren’t good for your skin. For a soothing relief, simply break off a piece of the plant and rub it directly on your lips.
Do you suffer from lip eczema? Let us know what treatments or home remedies you use below!